IMPRS-gBGC PhD position scholarships: If you are already funded as a PhD candidate at the FSU Jenaor the MPI for Biogeochemistry, you can be admitted to the IMPRS-gBGC as an associated member. Contact Steffi Rothhardt for more information on this.
We call for applications twice per year. Application deadline for the 11th call for applications is September 29, 2015.
The IMPRS-gBGC is the right choice for you
Browse this website to learn more about us, the research possibilities and the curriculum of the PhD program. If what you see meets your interest, continue with the paragraph below.
Otherwise, you might want to have a look at other International Max Planck Research Schools or in general at international PhD programs in Germany.
Applications for the program are open to well-motivated and highly-qualified candidates from all countries. A prerequisite is a diploma or master of science degree in geophysical sciences, environmental sciences, biological sciences, physics, chemistry, computer sciences or related fields, including a corresponding thesis. Proficiency in English is required since English is the official language of the program.
Requirements for the individual PhD projects can be derived from the project descriptions.
Fill in the application form on this website and submit all your regular application documents as PDF (within the online application process) before the application deadline on September 29, 2015.
After you have completed the online registration form, you will receive the link to a website on which you can upload your application documents. Your application package is considered complete once we receive the following documents:
- The online application form below
- Letter of motivation and research interests (in English).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) / Resume.
- Documents relating to your Master’s degree (or national equivalent that requires a corresponding thesis): title and abstract of your thesis, copy of your MSc certificate, copy of MSc transcript (list of courses/lectures you took, including marks).
- If applicable: documents relating to your Bachelor’s degree (redundant with ‘Diplom’): copy of BSc certificate, copy of BSc transcript (list of courses/lectures you took).
- Proof of English skills, if possible.
- Any additional documents which you consider important for your application (e.g. publications, job references, certificates of workshops etc.) can be included in your CV-PDF.
- Two reference letters (from e.g. former advisers) sent to us directly via email from the official work account of your chosen referees (must reach us by October 6, 2015).
Application documents that are neither in English nor German must be translated into one of these two languages. During the application, unofficial translations serve well. Upon admission and to register as a PhD candidate at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena, officially certified translations are required.
- In October 2015, the project PIs, the IMPRS steering committee and the IMPRS coordinator select the top candidates for a recruitment symposium in Jena
- You will be notified about the outcome of this pre-selection in late October
- Top candidates will receive an invitation to take part in the recruitment event that presumably takes place in Jena on December 1-2, 2015
- If you need a visa to travel to Germany, please be prepared to apply for one once you receive our invitation to participate in the recruitment event. Make sure you have a valid passport. On this website you find the German embassy or consulate is closest to your place of residence.
During the event,
- The IMPRS-gBGC and involved research groups will be introduced
- You will be asked to give a short talk on your previous research experience and your research interests
- 5 min talk (with slides) + short discussion
- in English
- You will be interviewed by members of the IMPRS faculty
- You will have a chance to talk to the people and see the facilities you might work with and get to know Jena.
You will be informed about the final decision 2 weeks after the event.
Successful candidates will be offered a highly communicative scientific environment, a comprehensive mentoring program as well as a PhD funding for three years*.
*) unless they already have started their PhD project and specifically apply for associated membership
Deadline : September 29, 2015.