It is defined as “growing of two or more than two crops in the same field in the same time in a year”.
Multiple cropping systems is not a new technique, it is practicing in:
- Egypt 300B.C.
- Maya Indians in central America
- Incas in south America
Multiple cropping systems are not only beneficial for soil, but it is also beneficial for farmer as well as for the country.
- It is a better source of soil utilization
- It improves yield
- Increase yield per unit of land
- Increase the crop production
- Export increase
- Foreign exchange increase
- Costs of input decrease as compared to individual crop growing cost
- Reduce pest and disease attack
- Different type of products can be produce at a time
- It helps to produce a balance diet for a family
- It helps to maintain the soil fertility
- It helps to control weeds
Multiple cropping systems also have some disadvantages like:
- The survival of pests become easy
- Pests can easily shift from one crop to another crop
- Problem of weed management
- Implementation of new technology is difficult etc.
Types of multiple cropping:
There are many types of multiple cropping system:
- Mixed cropping
- Relay cropping
- Sequential cropping
- Ratoon cropping etc.
“Growing of two or more crops in the same field in a year, when one (major) crop is planted on rows first and other (minor) crop is planted between the rows”.
- Sugarcane + oil seed crop (These crops also known as “companion crops”.)
“Growing of those (two or more) crops simultaneously on the same field on the same time, which have same sowing and harvesting time.”
“Growing of two or more crops on the same field where they enjoy association of each other for a period of time”.
Multiple cropping systems can help to get maximum production and ultimately maximum foreign exchange which is necessary for a developing countries. But for multiple cropping can be done in that are where:
- Irrigation water is abundantly available
- Labour is available
- All input resources are easily available etc.
Written by: Khadija Tehseen Arshad
University of Agriculture, Faisalabad.