Home / Articles / Major Crops / Production Technology of Sunflower

Production Technology of Sunflower


    Muhammad Nazar

    Department of Agronomy, UAF

    Correspondence email: nazarsardar786@gmail.com


    Botanical name:         Helianthus annus

    Family:                       Compositae

    Local name:              sooraj mukhi


    Edible oil is the essential component of our food but we are producing only 20% of our need and remaining 80% is imported to fulfill the requirement.Keeping in view the factor of population pressure we have to increase our local production of oil.Sunflower is the best crop to achieve that potential because its seed contain 40% good quality oil.

    Origin and History:

    Sunflower originated in the southwestern United States, or somewhere in Mexico. It was introduced to Europe in the 16th century and imported into Russia from Holland in the 18th century. In Pakistan, sunflower was first introduced as an oilseed crop in the 1960’s.

    Soil Type:

    Heavy soils are most suitable for sunflower cultivation. Sandy and water-logged soils are not desirable for sunflower production.

    Seedbed preparation:

    Sunflower has a well-developed root system, deep ploughing with a moldboard plough is necessary. Deep ploughing is necessary to break the hard pan in rice cultivated lands. Laser land leveler should be used to level the field.

    Time of Sowing:

    Timely sowing of sunflower is necessary to get more yield. In case of late sowing, oil content decreases and yield losses occur. Throughout the country sunflower is grown in two seasons: spring and summer.

    Spring sunflower crop:

    1st Jan to end of Feb

    Summer sunflower crop:

    1st July to 10 August

    Seed rate:

    Seed rate depends upon soil type, germination percentage, time of sowing and method of sowing.

    2-2.5 kg of hybrid seeds having germination percentage more than 90% should be used per acre.

    Sowing & Geometery:

    Sunflower sowing can be done through planter, dibbling, single row cotton drill and Kera method. Row to row distance should be 2.25-2.5 inches and plants should be 9 inches apart in case of irrigated areas and 12 inches apart in case of rainfed areas.

    Fertilizer requirement:

    Fertilizer requirement of sunflower is 60 kg/acre nitrogen, 40 kg/acre phosphorous and 25 kg/acre potassium.

    Irrigation requirement:

    Generally, four to five irrigations are required for the crop but it also depends upon weather conditions. First irrigation should be given 20 days after emergence, second 20 days after first irrigation, third at head formation, fourth at grain formation and last at the milk stage.


    Thinning is one of the operations essential to maintain the desired plant population. For this purpose, weak or abnormal seedlings should be uprooted before the first irrigation is given.

    Weed control:

    Control of weeds during the first eight weeks after emergence is crucial. Weed control can be done through hoeing and pre/post emergence herbicide application.

    Insects of sunflower:

    Jassid, Whitefly, Aphid, Cutworm, Armyworm and  Mealy bugs are the major insects causing problems.Instead of chemicals application, Biological control should be used to control these insects.

    Diseases of sunflower:

    Charcoal rot, Head rot, Leaf blight, Downy mildew, Powdery mildew are the diseases affecting this crop.Seed treatment with fungicides can be helpful in controlling fungal diseases.

    Harvesting and storage:

    Sunflower crop matures when back of flower head turns yellow and the leaves become grayish white and moisture content of seed is 30-35%. For storage, the seed moisture content should be 8-10%.


    • Hysun 33
    • Hysun 39
    • Kondi
    • N K Armoni
    • Agora-4
    • T- 40318
    • S 278

    About Saad Ur Rehman Malik

    My name's Saad ur Rehman. I graduated Bachelor of Science in Agriculture major in Agronomy. I am editor at Agrihunt and CEO at Hum Pakistan, President at Al Rehman Rural Development Organization and working as Secretary Information at Society for Human Rights. I've also done masters in Journalism and worked as columnist in "Daily Jang". My agriculture coursework and journalism background helps me that how to communicate about issues that affect farmer's everyday lives. I’ve been awarded the gold medal & shield of honor in order to recognize my community and literary services.

    Check Also

    Cotton Production Under Changing Climatic Conditions in Pakistan

    Report Issue: * Suggest Edit Copyright Infringment Claim Article Invalid Contents Broken Links Your Name: …

    Leave a Reply

    Notify of