By Tariq Tanveer
Enjoy the practical know-how of Living walls by a Pakistani garden designer
A wall, either free-standing or part of a building that is partially or completely covered with vegetation is known as a living wall.
Living walls are the self-sufficient vertical gardens that attached to the exterior or interior of a building. They are thoroughly different from green facades (e.g. Ivy walls). In living walls, plant root in a structural support which is fastened to the wall itself. The plants receive water and nutrients from within the vertical support instead of from the ground. While in green Facades, plant receives water and nutrients from the ground.
The living wall (without plants) in this picture has been designed by me at Qadir Bakhsh Farms.
Why to grow living walls?
Living walls have several advantages like they
- Maximize Limited Space: Increase the growing space especially when it is at a premium in a very tiny area like a balcony, verandah or courtyard.
- Increase Accessibility: Plants are easier to reach that makes maintenance more convenient and saves your back.
- Keep Plants healthier: Getting plants up and off the ground improves air circulation which keeps plants healthier with less pest and disease problems.
- Keep the damaging animals away: Living walls eliminate the edible temptation of pets, birds and other animals usually making the damage to your garden.
- Grow More Plants: Expand the number and kind of plants you can grow in your garden.
- Create a Micro Climate: A living wall helps to naturally insulate the building from heat, air pollution and/noise etc.
- Improve Air Quality and your Health: Research has revealed that plants improve both indoor and outdoor air quality by removing harmful VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and absorbing pollutants. Growing plants vertically even in compact spaces will make a BIG difference to your health.
There are many different plants that will thrive in a Living wall structure but some that have been known to do well are as follows:
- Different Succulents
- Chinese Star Jasmine
- Golden Diosmas
- Mondo Grass
- Black grass
- Ispara grass
- Different herbs
Living walls can be irrigated manually. However Gravity Fed Drip Irrigation Systems are the most helpful ways to irrigate the living wall. It works by installing a conventional drip irrigation system at the top of the living wall. Water is released from the system by dripping on the top row of plants. After the plants of top row are sufficiently watered, the water drips down by gravity, until the entire wall is watered. The excess water is collected at the bottom of the garden and is drained away. Alternatively, a pump may be installed to recycle the water.
How to make/get made a Living wall in Pakistan:
If you reside in Pakistan and want to enjoy living walls in your home or business place, please contact me on below mentioned contact details for all kind of help and consultancy.
Furthermore, all kind of living wall designs, structures and relevant materials are available on a reasonable price.
Qadir Bakhsh Farms
199 RB, Near Gat Wala Forest Park Faisalabad
Fax No: +92418756597
Cell No: +923216627199
Web: http://www.qbfarms.com, Facebook: Tariq Tanveer