Common Name: Asian Pears
Scientific Name: Pyrus species
Family: Rosaceae (the Rose family)
- Chinese Pear, Nashi Pear, Sand Pear (Pyrus pyrifolia)
- Siberian Pear, Harbin Pear (Pyrus ussuriensis)
- Chinese White Pear, Ya Pear (Pyrus x bretschneideris)
Asian Pears are not nearly as common in the West as their closely related cousin, the European Pear, but they are quickly gaining in popularity. They are typically round (apple-shaped), although the Chinese White Pear is more “pear”-shaped. Asian Pears are more similar to an apple in texture and a cross between an apple and European Pear in flavor. They are at their best when picked ripe. All you need is to taste a perfectly ripe Asian Pear, and you will make room for it in your Forest Garden.
There are three types of Asian pears.
- Round or roundish-flat fruit with green to yellow skin
- Round or roundish-flat fruit with yellow to brown skin and bronze to gold russet (little dots)
- Pear-shaped with green skin or brown skin and bronze russet
Original Article Here