What are the latest techniques for water management and conservation?
– Raised-bed irrigation method.
– Zero tillage technology.
– Plantation on contours on slopping lands.
– Deep tillage for enhancing water intake/penetration.
Which are the measures recommended to overcome water shortage for irrigation?
– Development of storage reservoirs/dams.
– Light application of pre-sowing irrigation with raingun sprinkler for sowing of crops at recommended time.
– Use of supplemental irrigation to save crop from complete damage/failure.
– Use of deficit irrigation instead of complete irrigation.
– Leveling of fields for light and uniform irrigation.
– Deep tillage for in-situ conservation of rainwater.
What are the new technologies developed by PARC for improved irrigation?
– Drip/sprinkler irrigation system indigenized for cost reduction.
– Raised bed plantation/sowing of crops.
– Land leveling coupled with deep tillage and balanced nutrient application.
– Lining of water courses with PE sheets.
What is the role of sprinkler and drip irrigation systems in water conservation?
– Sprinkler and drip irrigation systems can apply required amounts of irrigation whereas in surface irrigation light and
uniform irrigation is difficult.
– Sowing of crops at right time with small quantity of water is possible with sprinkler and drip irrigation systems.
– Crop damages due to high temperature and frost can be controlled.
– The leveling of fields is not required.
– The sandy and undulating un-commanded areas can be brought under crops.
– The quality of fruits and their yields can be improved.
– Uniform application of water, fertigation and chemigation can be done by sprinkler and drip irrigation systems.
What are the major recommendations for efficient use and better management of water?
– Application of irrigation according to consumptive use of water.
– Deep tillage for easy intake of irrigation water.
– Application of balanced nutrients and organic matter.
– Use of drip/sprinklers in water-stressed areas.