Friday , August 18 2017
Home / Articles / Pak Agri Outlook / Supply and demand of woods

Supply and demand of woods




  • Timber Consumption: According to Forestry Sector Master Plan 1992, per capita timber consumption is 0.026 m3 and therefore, the estimated total timber consumption for population of 124.66 million in 1992-93 is 3.253 million m3. The contribution of state controlled forest to this consumption according to office records of all Forest Departments in 0.470 million m3 (14.4%); imports of wood and wood products is 1.280 million m(39.3%) costing to Rs.4704.3 million, most of which is in the form of pulp and paper (92%) and farmlands provide the balance 1.503 million m3 (46.2%) of timber.

    Fuelwood Consumption: The FSMP per capita also gives per capita fuelwood consumption of 0.208 m3 and total fuelwood consumption in 1992-93 was thus estimated at 25.95 million m3 for both industrial and domestic purposes. Of this total 23.355 million m3 (90%) is contributed by farmlands and waste lands and the rest 2.595 million m3 (10%) is supplied by state controlled forests in the form of recorded and un-recorded removals. On the other hand, the Household Energy Strategy Study of 1993 finds that the annual fuelwood production is 32.33 million m³ and annual consumption is 46.148 million m³. The fuelwood gap for Pakistan is estimated at 13.82 million m3. This gap is very close to that estimated by Forestry Sector Master Plan of 15.1 million m3. Other studies have also given somewhat similar estimates. Current consumption of wood as well as its estimated demand are given in Table 3 and 4 respectively.

    Table 3 – Consumption of wood in Pakistan, 1992-93

    Item

    Thousand cubic metres

    Volume

    %

    Construction

    974

    28.1

    Furniture

    394

    11.4

    Village carpentry

    306

    8.8

    Mining timber

    291

    8.4

    Industrial fuelwood

    204

    5.9

    Matches

    193

    5.5

    Trucks and buses

    167

    4.8

    Particle board

    103

    3.0

    Sports goods

    51

    1.5

    Plywood

    25

    0.7

    Fibre board

    21

    0.6

    Boats

    14

    0.4

    Crates and boxes

    704

    0.3

    Trains

    6

    0.2

    Railway ties

    7

    0.2

    Total

    3,460

    100.0

    Population (million)

    124.66

    Per capita use (m3)

    0.028

     

    Source: 

    Forestry Sector Master Plan, 1992.
    Includes Industrial Fuelwood of 0.204 million m3.

    Table 4. Estimated demand for industrial wood-based products by end-use (Thousand cubic metres)

    {PRIVATE }

    1993

    1998

    2003

    2008

    2013

    2018

    Construction

    995

    1,159

    1,351

    1,574

    1,834

    2,139

    Crates and boxes

    720

    876

    1,066

    1,297

    1,578

    1,920

    Furniture

    403

    508

    639

    804

    1,012

    1,272

    Village carpentry

    313

    351

    391

    433

    476

    519

    Mining timber

    297

    375

    476

    599

    756

    958

    Matches

    197

    273

    377

    521

    720

    996

    Trains

    6

    6

    6

    6

    6

    6

    Trucks and buses

    171

    213

    266

    332

    414

    517

    Boats

    14

    14

    14

    14

    14

    14

    Particle board

    105

    156

    231

    343

    509

    754

    Sports goods

    52

    77

    113

    166

    244

    358

    Plywood

    26

    28

    31

    34

    38

    42

    Fibre board

    22

    22

    22

    22

    22

    22

    Railway ties

    7

    7

    6

    5

    5

    4

    Industrial fuelwood

    208

    233

    266

    306

    356

    422

    Total

    3,536

    4,298

    5,255

    6,456

    7,985

    9,943

    Population (millions)

    126.8

    147.7

    172.1

    200.4

    233.5

    272.0

    Per capita use (m3)

    0.028

    0.029

    0.031

    0.032

    0.034

    0.037

     

    Source: Forestry Sector Master Plan, 1992.

    Future changes in demand profile

    from Table 4, the breakdown of demand shows some contrasts for certain products as partly illustrated below (Editor):

    End use

    % demand

    1993

    2003

    2013

    Construction

    28.1

    25.7

    21.5

    Crates & boxes

    20.4

    20.3

    19.3

    Furniture

    11.4

    12.1

    12.8

    Matches

    5.6

    7.2

    10.0

    Trucks and buses

    4.8

    5.1

    5.2

    Particleboard

    3.0

    5.0

    7.6

    Other

    26.7

    24.6

    23.6

    Total

    100.0

    100.0

    100.0

     

    About admin

    Check Also

    OVERCOMING A MENTAL ROADBLOCK FOR USING PLANT BREEDING SOFTWARE

    Report Issue: * Suggest Edit Copyright Infringment Claim Article Invalid Contents Broken Links Your Name: …

    Leave a Reply

    Be the First to Comment!

    Notify of
    avatar
    wpDiscuz