Botanical name: Medicago sativa L.
Local name: Lucerne
Lucerne (Alfalfa) is considered as queen of fodder or king of all food. It was originated in Iran and then it travelled towards Arab countries. It is perennial crop or a multi-cut crop. It is the best source of:
- Protein 18%
- Carbohydrates 11%
- Fats 8%
- Vitamin A, D, K, E
- Folic acid
Lucerne is considered as the best fodder in whole over the world especially during the scarcity period of fodder, especially in Pakistan during “May-June” and during “Oct-Nov”.
Benefits of alfalfa:
It is a well-developed herb but a few people known about the alfalfa. It is much beneficial for the human beings. The leaves, seeds and sprouts of alfalfa is used for medicine purpose. Alfalfa(lucerne) is not only beneficial for the human beings but also beneficial for the human being as it helps to :
- Control asthma
- Natural medicine for the arthritis
- Help to control sugar
- Beneficial for the diabetic
- Maintain stomach
- Control kidney problems
- Control bladder problems
- Control cholesterol level
- Improve auto-immune disorder
- Prevent from strokes
- Act as blood cleanser
Act as arthritis healer:
Alfalfa (lucerne) acts as arthritis healer. Some minerals and vitamins which is present in lucerne is necessary for bone formation in human beings. Therefore, the tea made by the seed of alfalfa should use for arthritis but dose should take according to the doctor or physician.
Control sugar level:
Lucerne helps to control blood sugar level. Therefore, it is considered as the natural source o medicine for the diabetic.
Beneficial for the kidney stones:
Lucerne contain vitamin C, A and B. zinc is also present in it somehow. For dissolving the kidney stone, these vitamins and zinc is necessary. Therefore, lucerne is beneficial for the kidney stones.
As we know that “excess of everything is bad”. Therefore the excess use of lucerne may cause disorder in the human body functioning.
- The excess use of lucerne may cause the breakdown of red blood cells which is most dangerous stage for the human health.
- The researchers said that alfalfa contain “canavanine” which is an amino acid, causes the disease “LUPUS” in the human beings. However, “canavanine” is not present in mature leaf, it is mostly present in sprouting or in seeds. Therefore lucerne should consume in the form of leaves at maturity level, but according to the instructions of physicians.
Alfalfa is beneficial for the human health but it should be used according to instructions of a doctor.
Written by :Khadija Tehseen Arshad
University of Agriculture, Faisalabad.