What is barani areas?
Barani areas are those ares in which agriculture totally depend on rainfall water. In Punjab 3.10 million hectares area present out of total 11.83 million hectares and this area is divided into different ecological zones according to the rain fall pattern and soil type. Some part of Layyah, D.G Khan,Sialkot, Narowal, Gujrat, Khushab, Mianwali, Jhang, Bhakkar, Rajanpur districts and whole part of Attock, Rawalpindi, Jhelum and Chakwal districts included in barani tract. So, in this region the water is main problem and its conservation is very much needed to get more yield of barani areas crops.
What is gypsum?
Gypsum is the soft stone (calcium sulphate) which is ground and applied for reclamation of sodic soils and also used for moisture conservation.
Why to apply gypsum?
- It improves physical condition of the soil
- It improves the infiltration rate of soil
- It increase the wheat and groundnut yield from 15-20%
When to apply gypsum?
- Apply gypsum for wheat crop at the onset of monsoon and complete sowing upto mid November
- Apply gypsum for groundnut two months prior to sowing
How to apply gypsum?
- Plough the field with moldboard plough prior to gypsum application
- Broadcast gypsum at the rate of one per acre (20 bags) on the soil surface
- Mix the applied gypsum in the soil with a cultivator
Availability of Gypsum
Gypsum manufacturing factories are situated in Mianwali, Khushab, Dera Ghazi Khan and Khewra. It is also available from local dealers.
Syed Shabbar Hussain Shah
2013-ag-3351 7th Semester
Department of Soil and Environmental Sciences