(Written By: Allah Dad Khan and Junaid Hafeez)
Planning: It refers to the process of deciding what to do and how to do it. Planning is the key management function of any Agriculture extension worker. It is the process of determining in advance what should be accomplished, when, by whom, how, and at what cost. Regardless of whether it is planning long-term program priorities or planning a two-hour meeting, the planning aspect of management is the major contributor to success and productivity.
Stated simply, “If you don’t know where you are going, then you won’t know when you have arrived!” Planning is the process of determining the organization’s goals and objectives and making the provisions for their achievement”.
It involves choosing a course of action from available alternatives.
The elements of strategic plans include: (5 Ws):
- Organization mission statement – What
- Strategic analysis – Why
- Strategic formulation – Where
- Long-term objectives implementation – When and How
- Operational plans – When and How
Basic Concepts of extension programme-planning:
The planning of an extension programme is done on the basis of certain well recognized principles which should be clearly understood & followed by extension workers. The main principles are:
- The programme-planning should be based upon a careful analysis of a factual situation. In good programme-planning, problems for action are selected on the basis of recognized needs.
- A good programme-planning determines objectives & solutions which are feasible & offer satisfaction.
- The programme should be permanent & flexible to meet a long-term situation, short-time changes, & emergencies.
- A sound programme should have both balance & emphasis.
- A good programme has a definite plan of work.
- Programme-planning is a continuous process.
- Programme-planning is a co-coordinating process.
- Programme-planning should be educational & directed towards bringing about improvement in the ability of the people to solve their own problems individually and collectively.
Mr. Allah Dad Khan is former DG Extension, KPK
Mr. Junaid Hafeez is Director, Agrihunt:
- For publishing your articles at Agrihunt:
Email us at: email@example.com
Contact No: 0303-4309053
Publication letter would be awarded to our writers(After 10 publications at least.)